Cannonball House Maritime Museum
The Cannonball House was built c. 1765 and was once the home of Gilbert McCracken and David Rowland, pilots for the Bay & River Delaware. The Cannonball House has come to symbolize not only the Society, but the town of Lewes as well; previous uses included a restaurant, a laundry store, and, for a time, the mayor's office. Harkening back to the town's rich nautical heritage, the Cannonball House is the home of The Lewes Historical Society's maritime museum. Nationally important pieces of maritime art and memorabilia are displayed in the house, including the Fresnel Lens of Fourteen Foot Bank Light.
The museum houses the recent exhibition of Breaking Brittania's Grasp, Lewes, the Royal Navy, and the Legacy of 1812. This permanent exhibition is the first of its kind and provides a dual interpretation of the bombardment of Lewes by a British Naval Fleet on April 6th and 7th in 1813. This family-appropriate exhibition delves into the lives of both the sailors aboard the British ships and the actions of Lewes citizens who bravely fought to defend their homes in Lewistown. $5 Admission.
For more information on the Cannonball House go to:https://www.historiclewes.org/visit/society-properties/cannonball-house.html
For more information on the Breaking Brittania's Grasp Exhibition go to: https://www.historiclewes.org/programs/exhibitions.html