Lewes, Delaware – the Birthplace of Delaware – has had many accolades over the years: it is widely noted for its beautiful architecture, sense of community, appreciation of its past and thriving business community, set into the historic fabric of its downtown. Named by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of its Dozen Distinctive Destinations, Lewes is truly a jewel in both Delaware’s and preservation’s crown. Historic preservation has led to job creation, heritage tourism initiatives and opportunities, increased real estate values and civic pride.
The Lewes Historical Society seeks to honor those who have played roles in restoring and preserving Lewes’s historic character and fabric. Those who have acted as stewards of properties in town, those who have written down or preserved its memory or those who have contributed significantly to the preservation movement in town are eligible to be nominated. Properties or work completed since 2009 will be considered for these inaugural awards.
“Done correctly, historic preservation isn’t necessarily about the preservation of one building but rather a community and its context and it should lead to thriving local business and a sustainable way of life,” Society Executive Director Mike DiPaolo noted. “Lewes is often held up nationally as an example of what a community can do when it both cares about its past and puts it mind to the task; the Society felt it was time we honored those who have acted so faithfully as stewards of the town’s heritage.”
Properties and nominees may be located within Lewes or its surrounding countryside. Nominees are invited in the following Preservation Award Categories:
Awarded for superlative work in the restoration, rehabilitation, or reuse of an historic property.
• Brief description of the project, which may include annotated history of the building, discussion of the building before and after restoration or rehabilitation, and any special conditions addressed during the project.
• Color photographs illustration the project before and after work
• One overall photograph showing the complete project.
NEW CONSTRUCTION AWARD
Awarded for the sensitive design and careful construction of a new structure, whether an infill project or an addition to an existing building.
• Brief description of the project, including how the design of the new structure is in harmony with its historic surroundings, or primary structure if an addition
• Color photographs depicting work in progress, finished structure, surrounding buildings, and primary structure, if an addition
• One overall photograph showing the complete project
Awarded to an individual or organization for extraordinary service to Lewes, Delaware or surrounding area in the field of historic preservation and activities.
• Brief description of the nominee’s outstanding contribution to historic preservation depicting the activity for which they are nominated
Awarded for exemplary maintenance of an historic property or impeccable workmanship on an historic property by a contractor.
• Brief description of work
• Color photographs illustrating the property, including one overall image showing the complete property
Deadline for submission is January 31, 2012.
For more information on how to nominate a property, please call the Society at 302-645-7670.