Experience historic Lewes, Delaware, as nine homeowners "Virtually" open their doors to the community during the Society’s signature event, “A Christmas Tour of Lewes”! Tickets go on sale November 1st, 2020.
Experience historic Lewes, Delaware, as nine homeowners open their doors "virtually" to the community during the Society’s signature event, “A Christmas Tour of Lewes”. The Lewes Historical Society's 47th Annual Tour will be a digital edition this year!
We bring you into our Lewes' unique and historic houses while you sit in the comfort of your home! You will be led on this professionally filmed and narrated house tour by your host, Michael Sprouse (WRDE). Sprouse, a television and radio personality has served as the On-Air Host and Executive Producer of The Arts & Entertainment Report for WRDE, TV Delmarva.
During this 60-minute exclusive video, Michael will take you through each of the nine homes, pointing out unique aspects of each design, architectural elements and history. From colonial to Federal to a beach house, all nine distinctive residences will be on display for you to marvel over, collect inspiration from and admire. This video presentation will have drone-footage of each home and conclude with an added bonus featuring the creation of a traditional wassail bowl by celebrity columnist Denise Clemons.
Tickets can be purchased starting November 1st through January 5th and the link to the tour will be available at 5 p.m. on December 5th. This opportunity to view both the interiors and exteriors of nine notable homes will be accessible for up to a month, until January 6th! Tickets are $25 for a link to the entire Christmas Tour of Lewes! (Tickets go on sale on November 1st and a link to the tour will be emailed to you.)
Prior to taking the virtual tour of Lewes at 5 p.m., you won't want to miss the "Holiday Village & Market" outdoors and LIVE on the Society's main campus located at 110 Shipcarpenter Street in Lewes, Saturday, December 5th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The historic properties will be decorated for the holidays. Admission is $5, children under 12 are free, come rain, snow or shine!
Stepping onto the campus will transport you back to earlier times...
- Do some Christmas shopping with additional holiday vendors selling the perfect gifts while visiting the Village.
- Freddie's Barn will be overflowing with greenery and decorations to assist your holiday adorning efforts. Proceeds to benefit the Lewes historical Society.
- Live historic interpreters will roam the property or be sitting near the fire pit reading classic Dickens tales.
- Bring the family to see live sheep from Brittingham Farm, face to face, and learn about early spinning techniques and textiles and how they were an important part of keeping Americans warm throughout history.
- Storytelling will take place in the School House on the LHS campus.
- Seasonal food and beverage will be available throughout the day event.
- Step out of the cold into the Hiram Rodney Burton House to see professionally decorated, handcrafted, dollhouses, on display and available to win with your purchase of a raffle ticket. These stunning miniatures created by local designers and decorators will inspire your inner artist! This could be the best gift under your tree! These small buildings will be on display at the Citizens Bank, on 2nd Street, Lewes for two weeks prior to the holiday event. Raffle tickets will be drawn at 4 pm on December 6th. Winners will be notified.
- Walk through the Society’s Burton Ingram House and experience three centuries of holiday decorations from an 1830s parlor to a 1950s Lewes, DE kitchen.
- After a day filled with holiday festivities, come back to campus with your family at 5 pm to watch A Miracle on 34th Street on a large movie screen outdoors, safely distanced from your neighbor’s pod. Bring your own blankets. Popcorn will be available for sale. This added festivity is included in your ticket for the Holiday Village & Market.
The town of Lewes welcomes visitors to the First Town in the First State. We hope you will feel warm and safe while celebrating the holiday season with us. Please remember to social distance and wear a mask at all times. Occupancy on campus will be limited so please be patient with us as we strive to keep everyone safe and happy!
The Tour, presented by the Lewes Historical Society will go "LIVE" at 5 pm on Saturday, December 5, 2020. Tickets go on sale on November 1st, 2020.
Don't forget to join us for the Holiday Village & Market, from 10 am until 4 pm. Tickets are available the day of at the gate. With your ticket purchase you will be eligible to see the new exhibit of "Breaking Britannia's Grasp" at the Cannonball House located at 118 Front Street. This incredible exhibition will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, December 5th and is free with your "Holiday Village" ticket along with free admission to the Lewes History Museum! See you there!