Saturday, November 5
To commemorate the re-opening of The Lewes Historical Society's Campus, the public is invited to a celebration on Saturday, November 5, at 11 o’clock am, at 110 Shipcarpenter Street in Lewes. Autumn refreshments will be served, self-guided tours will be offered, and brief remarks will be made in dedication of the new grounds. No reservations are required, but questions can be directed to 302-645-7670.
If you've recently visited The Lewes Historical Society Campus at 110 Shipcarpenter Street in Lewes, you probably noticed the renovations taking place. Thanks to the generosity of the community and the support of foundations and public funding, the grounds endured a major transformation over the past nine months. Work will be completed by the end of October.
Many enhancements were made to the property. Brick work and oyster shells used for hardscape now flows through the Campus, bringing the land together, both functionally and aesthetically. With even the most extensive rains, the Campus now drains well, minimizing runoff and helping the environment. Accent lighting now makes the space safer and more inviting during evening hours. Beautiful plantings enhance the landscaping throughout the grounds.
The Lewes Historical Society’s Campus still offers 9 historic buildings to explore. Highlighting Lewes’s relationship to the sea and dedication to the preservation of historic structures, these museums help to tell the story of Lewes through the centuries since its founding. The Campus includes the Hiram Rodney Burton House (c. 1725, the only building on its original site), the Burton-Ingram House (c. 1785), the Rabbit’s Ferry House (c. 1740), the Thompson Country Store (c. 1800), the Ellegood House and Blacksmith Shop (c. 1790), the Doctor’s Office (c. 1850), and Midway School #178 (c. 1898).
Now that the grounds restoration is complete, the public is welcome back to enjoy the upgraded surroundings. The Lewes Historical Society’s Executive Director, Mike DiPaolo comments, “I hope people will continue to enjoy picnics here, bring their families for games of catch, or just enjoy the grounds while they read a book. We look forward to bringing our signature seasonal events back as well.”
The Lewes Historical Society would like to express their sincere thanks to all of the community members and businesses that supported this project, to the Longwood Foundation and State of Delaware for contributed so graciously, and to partners Element Design, OE Inc Distinctive Landscaping, and Lewes in Bloom.