Thursday, April 12
The Lewes Historical Society is set to honor five outstanding preservationists at its Preservation Awards Recognition Luncheon, sponsored by Burton Builders. Tickets are $30 per person and benefit the Society’s programs in historic preservation. Tim Slavin, Delaware State Historic Preservation Officer, will offer remarks regarding the importance of historic preservation. The awards luncheon begins at 12:00 p.m., Thursday, April 12 at the Margaret H. Rollins Community Room at the Lewes History Museum. To order tickets, call 302-645-7670 or visit historiclewes.org/events.
The five honorees have made an indelible impact on the Lewes community by enhancing the town through preservation and thoughtful design and services.
Lee Ann Wilkinson and Aaron Hood’s property at 329/331 Market Street was a derelict three story twin home that had not seen updates since the late 1800s. It took one year to complete the extensive renovations including a new foundation and moving an existing attached garage to the back of the property.
The Delaware River and Bay Lighthouse Foundation (DRBLHF) have been the caretakers and owners of Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse since 2002. In 2010, after rebuilding the dock to the Lighthouse 13 times in seven years, the DRBLHF Board set a goal to construct a dock to withstand the environmental challenges of the National Harbor of Refuge Breakwater area. The dock was completed in 2016. Since 2002, the Foundation has spent thousands of volunteer hours restoring and preserving Harbor of Refuge and educating the local community and visitors to our area of the maritime history of the two Lewes Lighthouses.
Linda Madrid and Amy Frederick’s property at 524 Kings Highway was constructed in 1883 and was purchased by Madrid and Frederick in 2013. Following it's purchase, the owners retained the architectural design services of Brenda Jones to assist in a design that would both renovate and rehabilitate the main house as well as the small cottage on the property and expand the living areas. The project was completed in 2016 and included moving the cottage away from the house and adding a upstairs hallway and an elevator.
St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church (McIntosh/Stollenwerk Home) was built in 1882 and was one of the first African American churches in Lewes and was still in use when it was purchased in 2012. With full support of the Historic Commission and input from the community, McIntosh & Stollenwerk restored the exterior to match the oldest photo they had at the time, reinforced the building and transformed the interior into a two bedroom home that highlights historic elements including exposed 1882 façade with the original half wagon wheel window in place and a mantel made from a beam that once supported the altar.
Lewes in Bloom works to promote the beautification and maintenance of Historic Lewes and the community at large. By doing so, historical preservation, urban forestry, environmental awareness and wide ranging community involvement, in addition to floral displays and landscaping are enhanced for everyone’s enjoyment.
“Done correctly, historic preservation isn’t necessarily about the preservation of one building, but rather a community and its context, and it should lead to thriving local business and a sustainable way of life,” Society Executive Director Mike DiPaolo noted. “Lewes is often held up nationally as an example of what a community can do when it both cares about its past and puts it mind to the task. The society feels we need to honor those who have acted so faithfully as stewards of our heritage.”
The Historic Preservation Awards are generously sponsored by Burton Builders.