While planning a school tour, please keep the following in mind:
- We ask for at least thirty (30) days advance notification. Confirmation and tour information will be sent upon receipt of the request. All tours begin at the Thompson Country Store on the Historical Society Campus at Third & Shipcarpenter Street. Ample bus parking is available along Third Street.
- For the safety and comfort of classes, as well as for the safety of our museums, large groups will be split into smaller groups of 15 students.
- For a tour of the museums with an emphasis on small-town life in the late 1700s and early 1800s, the Thompson Country Store, Old Doctor's Office, Midway School #178, and the Rabbit's Ferry house will be a part of the itinerary.
- For lessons about Lewes's maritime heritage, a trip to the Cannonball House Maritime Museum and/or the Lewes Life-Saving Station Museum can be arranged.
- Walking tours of the town to show students the highlights of Lewes in a meaningful context are available.
- Specific curriculum-based programs are also available to download to create a standards-based program that flows from the classroom to the museum. These programs are designed to meet Common Core, Next Generation Science, and Delaware State History Standards.
To schedule a field trip, please complete the Field Trip Request Form below.