Society Properties Virtual Tour
1. Cannonball House
The Cannonball House was built c. 1765 and was once the home of Gilbert McCracken and David Rowland, pilots for the Bay & River Delaware. The Cannonball House has come to symbolize not only the Society, but the town of Lewes as well; previous uses included a restaurant, a laundry store and, for a time, the mayor's office. Harkening back to the town's rich nautical heritage, the Cannonball House is the home of The Lewes Historical Society's maritime museum.
2. Ryves Holt House
The Ryves Holt House will re-open on Thursday, January 28th, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Museum Store & Information Center will be open Thursdays through Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
3. Lewes Life-Saving Station
The Lewes Life-Saving Station located on Delaware Bay was classified as a New Jersey design of 1882. No buildings remain in situ from the Lewes USLSS facilities although the Lewes Coast Guard Station is now being used as the headquarters for the Pilots Association for the Bay & River Delaware. There is some debate as to which district the Lewes Station belonged. Some sources point to the Fifth District that spanned from Cape Henlopen to Cape Charles.
4. Shipcarpenter Street Campus
The Lewes Historical Society's Shipcarpenter Street Campus grounds are open to the public, however, facemasks and social distancing from others are required. Our administrative offices will be closed until January 28th, 2021.
5. Lewes History Museum/Children's Discovery Center
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Due to current public health concerns, access to exhibitions and/or advertised programming may be amended or temporarily restricted.
6. Gift Shop & Information Center
The Lewes Historical Society Gift Shop & Information Center has been moved to the Ryves Holt House, located at 218 Second Street, Lewes, DE.