PastPerfect Category Type
Documenting the efforts of the Sussex Society for Archaeology and History (SSAH) [1948-1986] and The Lewes Historical Society [1962-present] to archaeologically examine the purported site of Swanendael, established under Dutch patronage in 1631, and to nominate the site as a National Historic Site and National Landmark; both efforts failed. Plans for the site also included recreating the palisade and providing an area for outdoor dramas (similar to The Lewes Historical Society's Swanendael Massacre and The Bombardment of Lewes by the British. Dr. Chesleigh A. Bonine head the investigation and nomination proceedings in consultation with members of the SSAH and Dr. James E. Marvil of The Lewes Historical Society. Included in this collection are notes about St. Catherine's Guild, a part of St. Peter's Episcopal Church of Lewes that is charged with care of the Pilottown Road Cemetery. The excavations and following efforts to obtain national recognition generated much correspondence between Lewes and the White House, Congress, Senate and National Park Service; additionally, many papers and edited manuscripts were produced for press pieces, scholarly journals and evidence in the Landmark-status hearings.