Absolom Hill and his wife Rachel built the store c. 1800 in Thompson’s Corner, now Thompsonville, Del. Mr. Hill died May 10, 1888. In selling the store they persuaded her father (Mr. Daniel Thompson) to buy it. They moved there November 1, 1888. Mr. Harvey Thompson’s (who donated the store to the Society) father married twice, first wife Elizabeth Jester of Ellendale, was a sister of Mrs. Hill; she did not live long. Mr. Thompson then married Annie Wilson of Prime Hook Neck. She was the mother of Harvey and Sadie Thompson. Harvey Thompson’s father died September 23, 1901. His mother ran the store until 1917. Then he and his sister ran it together for 2 years. He then took over sole responsibility for the store again.
The store also served as the local post office prior to rural free delivery. Oak timbers have broad ax and adz marks and wooden pegs hold rafters securely at roof peaks. Broad white oak floor planks are worn from countless footsteps over the past two centuries.
Thompsonville is located roughly 25 miles northwest of Lewes and is on the east side of Route 1 on Thompsonville Road.