This small structure, originally built on the Orton prpoerty on Pilottown Road, was owned eariler by the West family and they had inherited the property from the Howard family. The property was part of a land grant which Anthony Pieters sold to Helmanus Wiltbank in 1675. The Swedes built houses similar to this in Sweden and brought the design to present-day Delaware when they established a colony near New Castle.
This house may have been used as a dwelling - possibly for slaves - based on the pegs in the wall for clothes, the wood floor and the small window in the sleeping loft. The plank notching is similar to that known to have been crafted in the 1740s. The Early Plank House was donated to the Society by James Richard and Herbert Orton and was moved in 1963 to its present site.